Friday 7 September 2012

Welcome to this Durban Doula's Diary!

First things first, if you don't know what a doula is, she is a lady who supports women and their partners before, during and after childbirth. You can check my website here for more info. (Will open a new window.)

Secondly, if you're wondering where Durban is, it's on the eastern coast of South Africa. That's the country on the southern tip of Africa, in case you missed it.

To clarify from the start, I was never a 'baby person'. At one stage I didn't even want children, ever. If you had told me 5 years ago I wanted to spend my time and energy helping moms and babies, I would have thought you were smoking your socks.

The births of my two daughters, one natural drug-free birth in a hospital and one water birth at home, were the best experiences of my life. I have become passionate about helping other families have positive and affirming birth experiences. For more info on that, check my page on Why I want to be a midwife. (Will open a new window.)

So yeah, I will be studying to be a doula through WOMBS (Women Offering Mothers Birth Support), an organization based in Cape Town (bottomest, leftest tip of Africa). It is a six month course, running until December 2012. I am so excited about the possibilities this opens up to me! To be honest, I was thinking of only starting my studies when my kids were a little older (they are now 13m & 43m) but my hubby could see how crazy I am about all this stuff, and he encouraged me to just go for it. He knows this is what makes me come alive! 

So my intention is that this diary will show you a little of what it takes to be / become a doula, including the lessons learned and wisdom gained, and possibly inspire you in your journey towards what makes you come alive!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to bless a LOT of moms and dads out there Leigh with your passion and knowledge!

    ReplyDelete